Alpha-yohimbine or Rauwolscine is a stereoisomer, or chemical relative, of Yohimbine.
Yohimbine is a supplement derived from the bark of the Pausinaystalia Yohimbe tree found in western Africa and commonly used as a fat-burning supplement because of its potent alpha-adrenergic receptor antagonistic properties.
Alpha-yohimbine, which may also be referred to as “rauwolscine,” is a diastereoisomer of yohimbine HCL.
Yohimbine is one of the primary alkaloid constituents of Yohimbe bark and is an alternate form of yohimbine HCL with slightly different properties.
Like yohimbine HCL, alpha yohimbine is an alpha-2 adrenoceptor antagonist that has a number of psychic and autonomic effects on the body.
[content-egg module=AE__bodybuildingcom template=item next=1]
The effects Alpha Yohimbine include:
- inhibition of fear,
- inhibition of platelet coagulation,
- reduction of blood sugar,
- increased prolactin production,
- increased sympathetic outflow,
- inhibition of monoamine oxidase,
- increased lipid mobilization and
- increased libido.
The body has two primary types of adrenergic receptors that regulate fat-burning;
Beta receptors (initiate lipolysis, which is the breakdown of fat to be burned) and Alpha receptors (block lipolysis).
These two receptors regulate the fat-burning process in a balanced way and can be manipulated.
By possessing the ability to block alpha-adrenergic receptors, both Rauwolscine and Yohimbine are able to allow more fat-loss than would normally occur during exercise.
Ideally, after a certain amount of fat has been burned for energy, alpha-receptors will put a stop to the process, but when they are being blocked, more fat-loss can occur.
When combined with exercise, both Rauwolscine and Yohimbine can induce significant fat-loss in a short time frame.
Potential Uses of Alpha-Yohimbine
Alpha-yohimbine has several potential uses, and users may consume alpha yohimbine for the following:
- Sexual dysfunction, since Alpha yohimbine may increase libido, especially when sexual dysfunction is associated with the consumption of an SSRI.
- Orthostatic hypotension, as Alpha yohimbine may be used to increase systolic blood pressure and standing diastolic blood pressure in patients with orthostatic hypotension.
- Exercise performance, as it has been observed that some patients may use alpha yohimbine to increase exercise performance and build muscle mass.
- Fat burning for weight loss since alpha yohimbine improves lipid mobilization, patients may use it to burn fat and boost weight loss.
- Erectile dysfunction since alpha yohimbine may be beneficial to men with psychogenic, organic, and mixed erectile dysfunction.
- Dry mouth, as there are reports that Alpha yohimbine may relieve the symptoms of dry mouth among patients on antidepressant medication.
- Depression, as there are also reports that some patients have taken alpha yohimbine to improve the symptoms of depression.
- Anxiety: Alpha yohimbine may reduce the severity of phobia-based anxiety.
Rauwolscine is More Potent Than Yohimbine by Weight
Although Rauwolscine and Yohimbine are quite similar in terms of chemical structure and function, Rauwolscine is has turned out to be significantly more potent because it is able to saturate more receptors in the brain at a given dose.
For this reason, much less Rauwolscine needs to be consumed, making the probability and magnitude of negative side effects much less than Yohimbine.
Yohimbe Extracts vs Pure Rauwolscine
Rauwolscine is commonly found in many pre-workout supplements and fat-burners.
They are found in the form of extracts such as Raufolvia Vomitoria and Yohimbe Bark Extract.
Unfortunately, even when these extracts are standardized for a certain amount of Rauwolscine, the actual amount may still vary, and these plant extracts often contain more bioactive ingredients than just Rauwolscine.
This increases the likelihood of side effects.
Alpha Yohimbine Side Effects
The side effects of alpha-yohimbine are similar to the side effects of yohimbine HCL, being that both supplements work by antagonizing alpha-2 adrenoceptors in the body.
Being that Alpha-yohimbine has a more pronounced antagonistic effect on alpha-2 adrenoceptors, some of its side effects and adverse reactions may be more noticeable or severe.
Some of the most disturbing adverse effects of alpha-yohimbine include seizure, myocardial infarction, agitation, and cardiac arrhythmia.
There have also been some reports that alpha yohimbine could lead to changes in blood pressure, respiratory depression, heart attack, and death.
People taking alpha yohimbine should do so with great caution and should
Alpha Yohimbine Interactions
Alpha-yohimbine may interact with a number of prescription medications and supplements, and users of such medications or supplements should talk to a medical professional before adding alpha yohimbine to their supplement regimen.
Prescription drugs that may interact with alpha-yohimbine include:
- tricyclic antidepressants,
- stimulant drugs,
- monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
Similarly, supplements that may interact with alpha-yohimbine include:
- herbs and supplements that contain caffeine,
- berberine and
- herbs and supplements with anticoagulation properties.
Since studies have shown that yohimbine HCL is safe when consumed under medical supervision for no more than 10 days at a time, and there are great similarities between alpha yohimbine and yohimbine HCL.
Thus, it is likely safe when consumed in the same manner.
However, potential consumers of this product should always consult a physician before using alpha yohimbine.
Alpha-yohimbine is not considered safe for children, pregnant women, or women who are breastfeeding, as the effects of the supplement may be more pronounced in children.
Similarly, the consumption of alpha-yohimbine may lead to fetal toxicity in pregnant women.
Alpha-yohimbine may also be unsafe for people who suffer from the following health conditions:
- certain mental health conditions,
- liver disease,
- kidney disease,
- blood pressure disturbances,
- heart disease,
- bleeding conditions and
- benign prostatic hyperplasia
Best Selling Alpha Yohimbine (Rauwolscine) and Yohimbine HCL
[content-egg module=AE__bodybuildingcom template=list]