Arginine Aspartate Benefits and Side Effects
Table of Contents
Arginine-aspartate is a supplement comprising two amino acids, L-arginine and L-aspartate.
It is often sold as a metabolic booster, on its own, and is also sometimes used in treatments designed to correct erectile dysfunction.
L-arginine-L-aspartate is widely used by athletes for its potentially ergogenic properties, however, only a little information on its real efficacy is available from controlled studies.
Arginine-aspartate is also undergoing clinical study for its possible effectiveness in treating burns, diabetes mellitus, angina, cancer, hyperlipidemia etc….
- SUPERIOR EXTRA STRENGTH L-ARGININE - Our Premium L-Arginine stacks Arginine HCI & Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate with Citrulline, a precursor to Nitric...
- SAFELY SUPPORTS HEALTHY LIFESTYLE & LEAN MUSCLE - L-Arginine is an essential amino acid that converts into Nitric Oxide, thereby helping to promote...
- SUPPORTS BIGGER PUMPS, PERFORMANCE, VASCULARITY AND GAINS - Arginine supports energy levels and lean muscle. In addition to promoting blood flow,...
- RELIABLE - Our formula contains NO preservatives, chemicals, artificial ingredients or sugars so you can trust that you are using an all-natural...
- GMP Certified
- Amino Acid
- Double Strength
- Premium Grade
- FROM AMERICA'S #1 SELLING BODY BUILDING SUPPLEMENT BRAND - Six Star Pre-Workout Explosion is from the makers of MuscleTech, so you know it's a premium...
- SUBJECTS GAINED 18.6% MORE STRENGTH - Subjects using the exact form of creatine in the formula increased their strength capacity on the bench press by...
- ENHANCES MUSCLE PERFORMANCE - with powerful ingredients like ultra-premium beta-alanine, creatine monohydrate, arginine AKG and ultra-clean caffeine...
- ELEVATES MENTAL PERFORMANCE & WORKOUT INTENSITY - with scientifically researched dose of caffeine
- ENGINEERED FOR ALL ATHLETES: the fuel you want before your workout for extreme energy, focus and intensity
Last update on 2018-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
There is not enough information currently available to rule out adverse side effects, but it is considered safe for general human use as it is created from common natural substances.
In combination with Pycnogenol (a plant extract found in certain species of pine trees) and icariin, arginine aspartate is used to treat erectile dysfunction.
Results from a number of different studies have shown positive results in the use of this compound, which works by increasing blood flow to the penile region (penis).
The L-form of arginine is very common in nature and is a known precursor to the synthesis of nitric oxide (NO).
Nitric oxide is a vasodilator that is well documented to exhibit vasodilation effects. It is used by doctors and strength training athletes to enhance increased blood flow and nutrient delivery.
L-arginine plays various other vital biological roles, like assisting in cell division, healing, detoxification and secretion of hormones.
Aspartate is also believed to support the absorption of minerals like magnesium, calcium, potassium, etc…
By combining the vasodilation properties of L-arginine with aspartate, it is believed that the two will heighten each other’s effects within the body.
Benefits of Arginine Aspartate
Arginine-aspartate is being studied for the following treatment possibilities:
- Enhancing athletic performance through vasodilation and increased mineral absorption
- Reducing brain damage as a result of liver cirrhosis (hepatic encephalopathy)
- Improves erectile dysfunction symptoms when used in conjunction with Pycnogenol
- Enhance production of human growth hormone (HGH)
- Reversing the symptoms of hypercholesterolemia, hyperlipidemia, and atherosclerosis
- Prevents and reverse the development and spreading of cancerous cells
- Alleviating chest pains
- Treatment of heart disease, coronary artery disease, and other cardiovascular conditions.
The following dosages for Arginine aspartate have been used in clinical trials with positive results:
- 200 mg taken three times daily for long-flight altitude sickness
- One dose of 50 mg per kilo of body weight to treat asthma
- 30 grams every day for three days to augment certain chemotherapy drugs
- 6 grams taken twice daily to enhance generalized athletic performance
- 4 mg cream applied to hands and feet to combat consistent coldness due to poor blood flow in individuals with diabetes.
- 3 grams taken three times daily to help alleviate complications associated with type II diabetes mellitus
- 5 grams taken daily for 6 weeks to combat erectile dysfunction symptoms
Arginine Aspartate Side Effects
Arginine-aspartate may have negative effects when used in conjunction with agents that lowers cholesterol and insulin production.
It can also increase the power of effects brought on by nitric oxide donors, like isosorbide mononitrate, sodium nitroprusside, etc…
Possible side effects of improper arginine aspartate supplementation include:
- Metabolic acidosis,
- Lessened urea cycle efficiency,
- Increased ammonia toxicity and
- Brain damage at the most extreme end.
Milder side effects, like nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, headaches, flushing, and irritability, may also be experienced.
While it is true that arginine aspartate is a natural supplement, like other natural products, it may induce mild-to-severe side effects in various medical scenarios, and all supplementation programs should be discussed with your doctor beforehand.
Arginine is one of the 20 most common amino acids and is one of the two amino acids that comprise arginine aspartate. There are many foods, rich in arginine, including seafood, poultry, dairy, seeds, nuts, whole grains, etc…
A limited amount is synthesized within the human body, and in order to make up for the difference between the amount of arginine needed and the amount a person is able to produce, additional arginine must be consumed.
Arginine is involved in various important body processes, including healing, the removal of waste from the body, secretion of hormones, and cell division.
The other component of arginine-aspartate is aspartate, which is a form of aspartic acid, one of the building blocks of proteins.
It is possible, for a person to synthesize as much aspartic acid as is needed, and it is readily available in many of the same foods that arginine is found in.