Arginine, Ornithine and Lysine Review
Table of Contents
Arginine, ornithine, and lysine are amino acids which each have a unique impact on the human body, having the ability to influence fat metabolism and stimulate growth hormone.
Amino acids make up the proteins in our body, and there are two types of amino acids: essential amino acids and non-essential amino acids.
Arginine, ornithine, and lysine are often grouped together for their purported ability to increase levels of human growth hormone.
Their health benefits are many, but the majority of claims are vastly unverified by scientific data.
- SUPERIOR EXTRA STRENGTH L-ARGININE - Our Premium L-Arginine stacks Arginine HCI & Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate with Citrulline, a precursor to Nitric...
- SAFELY SUPPORTS HEALTHY LIFESTYLE & LEAN MUSCLE - L-Arginine is an essential amino acid that converts into Nitric Oxide, thereby helping to promote...
- SUPPORTS BIGGER PUMPS, PERFORMANCE, VASCULARITY AND GAINS - Arginine supports energy levels and lean muscle. In addition to promoting blood flow,...
- RELIABLE - Our formula contains NO preservatives, chemicals, artificial ingredients or sugars so you can trust that you are using an all-natural...
- GMP Certified
- Amino Acid
- Double Strength
- Premium Grade
- FROM AMERICA'S #1 SELLING BODY BUILDING SUPPLEMENT BRAND - Six Star Pre-Workout Explosion is from the makers of MuscleTech, so you know it's a premium...
- SUBJECTS GAINED 18.6% MORE STRENGTH - Subjects using the exact form of creatine in the formula increased their strength capacity on the bench press by...
- ENHANCES MUSCLE PERFORMANCE - with powerful ingredients like ultra-premium beta-alanine, creatine monohydrate, arginine AKG and ultra-clean caffeine...
- ELEVATES MENTAL PERFORMANCE & WORKOUT INTENSITY - with scientifically researched dose of caffeine
- ENGINEERED FOR ALL ATHLETES: the fuel you want before your workout for extreme energy, focus and intensity
Last update on 2018-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Human growth hormone is released by the pituitary gland in the brain and plays a decisive role in muscle growth, fat metabolism and immune system maintenance.
Arginine, Ornithine and Lysine Benefits
Arginine helps our body get rid of excess nitrogen, and also helps us build both muscle and collagen.
Some experts have also pointed out that arginine may also inhibit tumor growth, lower cholesterol and promote wound healing. Additionally, our body can use arginine to make ornithine.
Ornithine, in turn, helps make other amino acids, such as proline, and further supports the liver, boosts the immune system and increases fat metabolism.
Lysine is one of the nine essential amino acids, and like many amino acids, helps our body build muscle.
Also, lysine may prevent herpes outbreaks when consumed on a regular basis, and can also help you absorb calcium, build collagen and make carnitine, another amino acid
Combinations of Arginine, Ornithine, and Lysine
All three amino acids promote the secretion of human growth hormone, but taking them individually does not have the same impact as combining them (arginine with ornithine or lysine).
Additionally, the ability of arginine, ornithine, and lysine to encourage the release of growth hormone is erratic and highly dependent on the method of delivery.
Significant secretion and increases in growth hormone circulation have been observed when arginine, ornithine, and lysine are administered intravenously. But the supplement combination is less effective when taken orally.
Most often, those who take arginine, ornithine, and lysine are athletes who are hoping to increase their growth hormone circulation in order to build more muscle mass.
However, an oral dosage of growth-hormone-stimulating amino acids would have to be extremely high in order to stimulate noticeable hormone release, and such high dosages can often cause abdominal discomfort and diarrhea.
This has led many scientists and physicians to caution against using arginine, ornithine, and lysine amino acids to stimulate growth hormone release to support athletic performance.
Although there is almost no evidence to support the idea that arginine supplementation can adequately increase growth hormone levels to improve muscle building and athletic performance, researchers indicate that the amount of hormone released may have a correlation with sex, age, and diet.
It was observed that females seem to exhibit a greater amount of growth hormone release after taking arginine, ornithine and lysine supplements than their male counterparts.
Also, younger individuals will notice greater growth hormone release after taking these amino acids supplement, than older persons.
In continuation, individuals who are physically fit will also not benefit from taking arginine supplements with ornithine and lysine as much as those who are less physically fit.
In order to produce a noticeable release of growth hormone, physically fit individuals must consume large amounts of the supplement, which may be unsafe for health.
Taking any nutrient, including amino acids, in supplement form can cause side effects, thus, if you choose to take arginine, ornithine or lysine in supplement form, consult a physician.
If you have a herpes viral infection, avoid arginine, as it may cause the virus to multiply. For those on medication to lower blood pressure, arginine may enhance its effects and cause it to go too low.
Pregnant women and children are also advised to avoid both arginine and ornithine.
All three amino acids of arginine, ornithine, and lysine promote the secretion of human growth hormone, which stimulates fat cells to break down the fat in storage and to stop storing more fat.
Taking growth hormone helps people lose weight, especially, when they are deficient in the hormone and sometimes supports weight loss in people with normal hormone levels.
Amino acids that boost growth hormone can also help with weight loss, but more clinical studies are needed to verify their efficacy.