What you will learn...
L-Arginine and Pycnogenol have become important dietary supplements because of their effect on nitric oxide production in the human body.
In fact, the scientists who discovered nitric oxide’s function in the cardiovascular system won the Nobel Prize for medicine/physiology.
The combination of L-arginine and Pycnogenol (pine bark extract) is a worthy consideration for any man looking to naturally boost circulation and energy levels.
What is L-Arginine?
L-arginine is an amino acid that is obtained from protein-rich foods, mostly from meats and dairy products. It is also manufactured in laboratories and used as medications.
On entering the bloodstream, L-arginine gets converted to nitric oxide, which causes dilation of blood vessels and thus increases blood flow.
L-arginine has an effect similar to Viagra and it has been clinically demonstrated to improve erections in men with erectile dysfunction, ED.
It is used for several health conditions, including erectile dysfunction, high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, and chest pain.
Many bodybuilders use L-arginine to increase strength and performance during a workout.
What is Pycnogenol?
Pycnogenol is a supplement that is made from the bark extract of the French maritime pine tree (Pinus pinaster).
The active ingredients in the pine bark extract are flavonoids called procyanidins, which have a powerful antioxidant effect in the body, and they also improve blood flow.
People take Pycnogenol and other brands of pine bark extract for different conditions, including circulation problems, sexual dysfunction, diabetes, asthma, and pains, especially, leg and joint pain.
L-Arginine and Pycnogenol are effective vasodilators. Vasodilators are agents that relax and expand blood vessels.
L-arginine is a conditionally essential amino acid, while Pycnogenol is a proprietary form of pine bark extract.
Both substances are believed to act without causing any serious adverse side effects in people of normal health.
Both L-arginine and pycnogenol are used in male enhancement supplements, with good results that vary from one user to another.
When taken separately, these two supplements seem to have a limited and insignificant effect on erections, however, when taken together, one can notice and feel a boost in penile circulation and erection size.
Once arginine gets absorbed by the intestines, it travels into the bloodstream, where it converts into nitric oxide.
However, this chemical reaction requires an enzyme known as nitric oxide synthase, NOS, which acts as a limiting factor on the amount of arginine that can convert into nitric oxide.
On the other hand, taking pycnogenol increases the activity and amount of NOS available to catalyze the change.
As a potent antioxidant, Pycnogenol can also help to fight free radicals that cause infections and aging, and L-arginine help increases the secretion of human growth hormone, HGH, from the pituitary gland.
Medical Uses of L-Arginine
- Treating cardiovascular conditions and diseases, plus coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, hypertension, and chest pain.
- Treatment of repetitive leg pains due to poor circulation.
- Treating and improving mental capacities, especially in the elderly
- Improving symptoms of erectile dysfunction, ED, and infertility
- Treating gestational hypertension, and pre-eclampsia.
- Strengthening the functions of the kidney, especially after transplant procedures.
- Improving athletic performance and endurance
- Normalize the effects of radiation therapies and chemotherapies.
- Treating muscular wasting, especially, in cancer and AIDS patients.
- Decreasing post-surgery recovery times, and improving peripheral circulation in patients with chronically cold feet and hands.
Medical Uses of Pycnogenol
- Help induce vasodilation and enhance circulatory system efficacy
- Strengthen and regulate the response of the immune system
- Improve glucose absorption
- Decrease risks of developing diabetes
- Improve blood lipid profiles, helping to decrease risks of developing heart disease, stroke, obesity, and other associated conditions and diseases
- Improve the symptoms of erectile dysfunction, ED
- Treating learning and behavioral problems in patients with ADHD
- Increase libido and improve sexual endurance
- Help improve menopausal symptoms including mood swings, hot flashes and irregular periods
- Scavenge reactive oxygen species, helping to decrease free radical damage throughout the body.
Experts recommend taking 3 g to 5 g of L-arginine, up to 3 times daily.
The best times to take arginine is upon waking, before or after a workout and before bedtime.
L-Arginine works best when taken on an empty stomach, and specialist recommends a higher, 7 g to 10 g dosage of arginine for increasing HGH production, preferably taken before bed.
To increase the amount of L-arginine converted to nitric oxide, take 50 mg to 100 mg of pycnogenol, along with your L-arginine.
Finally, as an alternative to erectile dysfunction medicine, take L-arginine and Pycnogenol 30 to 60 minutes before sexual activity with your partner.