L-Arginine for Women, Fertility and Sexual Arousal
Table of Contents
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, 43% of women and 31% of men suffer from sexual dysfunction.
Sexual dysfunction is broadly defined as the inability to fully enjoy sexual intercourse. Women generally experience this sexual dysfunction as a loss of libido (sexual drive) and/or the inability or difficulty in achieving an orgasm.
Men, on the other hand, experience it as impotence, known technically as erectile dysfunction.
Based on hundreds of research studies, L-arginine, an essential amino acid and one of the building blocks of proteins in the body, has become known as a safe and effective pro-sexual nutrient for men and women.
- SUPERIOR EXTRA STRENGTH L-ARGININE - Our Premium L-Arginine stacks Arginine HCI & Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate with Citrulline, a precursor to Nitric...
- SAFELY SUPPORTS HEALTHY LIFESTYLE & LEAN MUSCLE - L-Arginine is an essential amino acid that converts into Nitric Oxide, thereby helping to promote...
- SUPPORTS BIGGER PUMPS, PERFORMANCE, VASCULARITY AND GAINS - Arginine supports energy levels and lean muscle. In addition to promoting blood flow,...
- RELIABLE - Our formula contains NO preservatives, chemicals, artificial ingredients or sugars so you can trust that you are using an all-natural...
- GMP Certified
- Amino Acid
- Double Strength
- Premium Grade
- FROM AMERICA'S #1 SELLING BODY BUILDING SUPPLEMENT BRAND - Six Star Pre-Workout Explosion is from the makers of MuscleTech, so you know it's a premium...
- SUBJECTS GAINED 18.6% MORE STRENGTH - Subjects using the exact form of creatine in the formula increased their strength capacity on the bench press by...
- ENHANCES MUSCLE PERFORMANCE - with powerful ingredients like ultra-premium beta-alanine, creatine monohydrate, arginine AKG and ultra-clean caffeine...
- ELEVATES MENTAL PERFORMANCE & WORKOUT INTENSITY - with scientifically researched dose of caffeine
- ENGINEERED FOR ALL ATHLETES: the fuel you want before your workout for extreme energy, focus and intensity
Last update on 2018-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
L-arginine is a dietary supplement that is occasionally used to promote female libido and fertility. Taking L-arginine for women is said to promote sexual arousal, potentially by increasing circulation to the genitals.
L-Arginine is a precursor of nitric oxide (NO) in the human body, and scientists discovered that not only is NO an essential compound that helps blood circulation, but it is important to normal sexual function in both men and women.
L-Arginine Effects on Women
Higher blood flow makes clitoral and vaginal tissues more sensitive and responsive to sexual stimulation, helping to increase the possibility of reaching orgasm.
Preliminary research shows a relationship between L-arginine and fertility, cardiovascular health, pulmonary function, immune-modulation and various other health results.
However, many uses of L-arginine for women’s health are still not corroborated by definitive scientific evidence.
However, even though there haven’t been nearly as many studies done on arginine supplementation in women as in men, one of the few studies found that postmenopausal women who took a supplement including L-Arginine experienced heightened sexual response.
Another study involving seventy-seven women of all ages found that after four weeks, 73.5% of the women who took a supplement including L-Arginine experienced greater sexual satisfaction and less vaginal dryness, including heightened desire and clitoral sensation, and frequency of intercourse and orgasm.
About five percent of women dealing with infertility issues experience an abnormal production of cervical mucus, which is used to assist sperm in their journey to reach the female eggs.
If there is not enough cervical mucus, the sperm is less likely to travel efficiently, and if the cervical mucus is too thick, the sperm will not be able to travel through it.
However, by increasing blood flow to the reproductive organs, the formation of cervical mucus is improved, which generally help support conception.
L-arginine was first isolated in 1886 and was classified as a semi-essential amino acid. This means that, although the body can synthesize it, increasing L-arginine intake is sometimes necessary for physiological function.
This can be achieved through dietary intake modifications or through supplementation. L-arginine supplementation is generally well tolerated by the body when conducted appropriately.
For enhancing sexual function in men, 5g of L-arginine has been used daily for 6 weeks, and a similar dosage may be effective for increasing libido in women as well.
16g of this amino acid (L-Arginine) has been used daily in women with fertility challenges for increasing fertility and has been observed to result in an improved ovarian response, endometrial receptivity, and pregnancy rate.
Although there is no final evidence from clinical trials that support L-arginine as a fertility enhancer for women, there are several ways which it affects sexual function in women. These effects are mainly related to improvements in blood flow related to elevated nitric oxide levels.
Thus, L-arginine may help support reproductive health in women by increasing blood delivery to the ovaries, uterus, and genitals. In general, more blood flowing to the reproductive organs increases the probabilities of conception.
Both men and women report that L-Arginine increases their libido or desire for sex, and some also report that L-Arginine gives them greater endurance, strength, and more powerful orgasms.
For women, stronger orgasms and increased sexual arousal are very much likely. With improved blood flow, men experience stronger erections.
The positive benefits of arginine go beyond sexual enhancement. This remarkable amino acid helps build muscle mass, enhance immune function, improve blood pressure, increase memory, and even speed up wound healing.
Arginine-derived nitric oxide has also been found to play a supporting role in the cardiovascular, immune, and nervous systems and that, has been validated by hundreds of studies.
Additional L-Arginine Uses
- Is a precursor of nitric oxide (NO)
- Promotes circulation, resulting in improved blood flow
- Stimulates the release of human growth hormone
- Improves immune functions
- Speed up healing time of injuries
- Helps in the formation of bone and tendons
- Increases muscle mass, thus reducing body fat
- Supports male fertility, improving sperm production and motility
- Decreases risk of blood clots and stroke
- Supports normal blood pressure
- Improves vascular function
- Supports recovery after heart attack
- Helps prevent and treat cardiovascular disease
- Helps to reduce the growth of cancerous tumors
Safety of L-Arginine for Women
Natural Medicines rates L-arginine as possibly safe when taken for up to 3 consecutive months or 90 days, provided the doses are delivered orally and in the appropriate amounts.
L-arginine affects various systems of the body and induces numerous biological and psychological effects.
There are side effects associated with L-arginine supplementation, although unlikely.
Also, there are possible interactions between L-arginine and other prescriptions medications.
On a final note, make sure to speak with your doctor before taking L-arginine, to support female fertility or for any other reason, to be sure that it is safe for your unique health situation.