What you will learn...
- 1 Benefits of Vertical Leg Crunches
- 2 Bringing variations while crunching
If you are a big fan of Captain America’s chiseled six-pack abs, then you ought to add some exercise routine to your workout.
Along with weights and push-ups, you need some hardcore vertical leg crunches that can help in toning your abdominal muscles.
If you are too lazy for all this, try using a fat burning machine.
This may be regarded as a traditional form of exercise routine, but it hugely helps in strengthening and toning the middle and side abdominal muscles.
You don’t need any equipment while doing crunches. This is an efficient way to reduce abdominal fat.
Benefits of Vertical Leg Crunches
1. Strengthens both the lower and upper abdominal muscles
2. Increases your core strength
3. Improves stamina
4. Enhances better body balance and posture
5. Reduces muscle spasm
6. Fosters metabolism
The vertical leg crunches help to improve the rectus abdominis which is the biggest nerve that stabilizes your spine. This type of exercise strengthens your ab muscles that are useful while walking and playing sports.
The core muscles are considered as shock absorbers while jumping or lifting weights. Thus, it is important to strengthen the abdomen for better flexibility.
In case, you have an abdominal muscle injury, neck injury, chronic respiratory disease, or back pain due to disc hibernation, please do not try these crunches. Also, pregnant women should consult a doctor or fitness trainer before doing the below crunches.
I have listed 7 vertical leg crunches to be done right at home!
1. Basic Crunch
- Lie flat on your stomach.
- Place your hands behind.
- Bend your knees.
- Slowly, rise up to meet your pelvis with the help of your shoulders and core to move forward.
- Continue doing it 10 times.
Don’t: Refrain using the strength of your hands on your neck and back.
2. Reverse Crunch
- Lie flat on your back and raise your leg upward at 900.
- Place your hands straight on the ground. In either case, you can also place it behind the hip for support.
- With the help of your core muscles, push your legs and hips towards the roof.
Don’t: Never do it fast. Be slow and gentle.
3. Vertical Leg Crunch
- Lie straight on your back with arms straight.
- Slowly, lift your legs and heels facing the ceiling at a 450.
- Try to touch your feet using your fingers as you pull your abdomen to balance your body using the ab muscle.
- Breathe slowly as you get back to normal position.
4. Long Arm Crunch
- Rest straight on your back with your legs bend.
- Fold your arms above your head.
- Gradually, lift your upper body using your core.
- Continue doing this exercise for 10 times.
According to a study by the American Council on Exercise (ACE), these four abdominal exercises are effective in building strong core muscles.
5. Bicycle Crunch
- Lie down on your back and keep your hands behind your head.
- Lift your legs in the air towards your chest.
- Try to touch your right knee using your left elbow and vice versa.
In this exercise, all your core muscles are used, especially the rectus abdominis. It is the most important muscle that makes your abs visible.
These exercises are the best complement to non-surgical weight loss! As it is beneficial for the whole body.
6. Captain’s Chair
For this, you need an armchair with saddle seat and a low curved back with verticle spindles, commonly known as Captain’s chair.
- Loosen your legs before raising your knees towards your chest.
- Using your ab muscles, pull your legs towards your spine and slowly come back to position.
This type of exercise stimulates your abdominal muscles; a large group of muscles that helps in breathing movement. It also helps to strengthen the two obliques that are located at either side of the abdomen.
7. Crunch on an Exercise Ball
Using a balance ball, your core muscles are expected to get stronger as compared to regular crunches.
- Lie on the ball with hands behind the head.
- Move forward and backward using your muscle abs.
It focuses on strengthening the rectus abdominis and the smaller ab muscles.
Bringing variations while crunching
Crunches can be done in various ways in order to build your core strength and make muscles stronger. Before taking the challenge, master the basics. When you feel confident enough, add modifications like the below. Also, make sure you use a mat.
Making vertical leg crunches harder
Ready to take some challenges?
- Then try holding your abdominal contradiction and practice small crunches. Maintain the contradiction without touching the floor. Don’t overdo it. If you feel pain, stop doing it. Start by doing it for a shorter period of time every day for the body to adapt.
- You can also bring your legs from a perpendicular to a 450.This will put pressure on your core to stabilize your body.
- Try working out on an exercise ball.
- Instead of placing your hands behind the head, expand your hands towards the toes.
- Keep weight on your chest or hold it behind the head.
Making vertical leg crunches easier
If you find difficulty in keeping your legs straight while performing vertical leg crunches, then you may bend it but keep it pressed together. In vertical leg crunch, you can perform a standard crunch with your legs down.
If you get muscle cramps, backaches, and other problems after doing crunches, then you are not doing it the right way. Below, are some common mistakes people do.
Common mistakes practiced while performing crunches
1. Don’t hold your breath
It is important to breathe while you exercise. Proper breathing technique helps in circulating oxygen in your blood that reaches the muscles. Holding your breath can lead to cramps and make you tired quickly.
2. The right position of your neck and head
The neck should be in line with your torso which is the main part of the body that keeps your neck and limbs attached. Keep your chin up and don’t tilt your neck forward.
3. Go easy
Exercises should be done slowly and gradually without stressing on any of your muscles. Control your movements and take your own time to do it correctly.
4. Use the abdomen muscles only
Don’t use your abdominal, neck, or leg muscles to pull or push while crunching.
Concluding it here!
Shirtless men and their hot bodies are the talk of the town whenever we see actors like Chris Hemsworth flaunting their perfectly shredded six-pack abs. Looking at your belly pad, if you feel you won’t be able to get rid of the fats, then opt for fat removal without surgery. Once you get this laser treatment, you can start with these above crunches to get a perfectly toned body.
Sam Billings has been working as a health specialist at invisa-RED for more than 10 years. invisa-RED deals with training people on weight loss and body contouring equipments that are safe, affordable and effective. With these many years of experience, he/she shares her thoughts on modern skin tightening treatments through valuable and informative blogs.